Orange County Health Care Agency
World AIDS Day – “Getting to Zero” – Get Tested to Know Your Status
World AIDS Day is celebrated on December 1st, a day to reflect and remember those who have lost their lives and those who are still living with HIV or AIDS. More than 60 million have been infected with the HIV virus and approximately 30 million people have died of AIDS worldwide.
In Orange County, 11,327 people have been diagnosed with HIV; 6,820 persons are still living with the virus; and nearly 2,000 are estimated to be infected without knowing it. Get tested to know your status! World AIDS Day activities and testing will be available throughout Orange County starting November 28. Commemorative events, which are open to the public, are listed below; testing will be offered at all events, except South Coast Plaza:
- November 28 & 29: California State Fullerton, Student Dorms, 10am – 3pm
- November 29: University of California Irvine, Student Center, 11am – 4pm; Golden West College, Cafeteria, 10am – 3pm
- November 30: Delhi Community Center, Candlelight Remembrance, 7 – 9pm
- December 1: Laguna Beach Main Beach, 11am– 3pm and Candlelight Remembrance 5:30pm; South Coast Plaza, Microsoft Store, AIDS Awareness poster competition display, 1 – 3pm; The Center of Orange County, 1605 N. Spurgeon Street, Santa Ana, 9am – 6pm
- December 3: Orange County Health Care Agency, 1725 W. 17th Street, 11am – 1pm
This year’s theme is “Getting to Zero: Zero new infections. Zero discrimination. Zero AIDS related deaths.” Eliminating stigma about HIV, encouraging everyone to know their HIV status, and making sure people living with HIV have access to medical care and medications are all important steps in “Getting to Zero” in Orange County. Learn more about Orange County efforts by reading the Orange County HIV Comprehensive Plan and participating in the Facing AIDS Initiative.
For additional testing sites and more information about HIV services in Orange County, call (714) 834-8711 or visit http://www.ochealthinfo.com/hiv. Learn more about World AIDS Day at www.aids.gov/world-aids-day/.
# # #