- Enthusiastically embrace the chief EHS role, responsible for championing safety culture.
- Develop, implement, administer and enforce policies and procedures to establish and promote safe employee working behavior and conditions at all DRI projects.
- Ensure DRI’s practices and written policies are in compliance with local, state and federal government safety regulations.
- Review all applicable jobs for compliance with OSHA requirements and high hazard job exposures and make sure the greater of Company or OSHA requirements are being met.
- Identify (oversee safety personnel how to identify) critical and unique safety program implementation needs for all DRI projects.
- Identify unique new risks/hazards emanating from performing work in new industries or from providing new services, and develop policies and procedures to mitigate such risks, as well as develop and conduct applicable training. Potential work includes, but is not limited to:
- Commercial roofing applications, primarily singly-ply and BUR
- Steep-slope roofing applications (for apartments and HOAs)
- Below grade work
- Work in refinery complexes
- Coordinate the attendance of safety personnel at pre-job walks.
- Assist with the development of high quality safety plans for jobs where such plans are required. Train other safety personnel how to develop such plans and train field personnel how to read and adhere to such plans.
- Conduct (and oversee safety personnel to conduct) recurring and effective job walks and safety audits at DRI projects; interact with employees on a regular basis and ensure employees are demonstrating safe work behavior and adhering to all the Company’s safe work practices. Target more frequent visits for higher hazard jobs.
- Interface with Field Operations and Job Site management on a regular basis (primarily operations management and foremen) to ensure development and maintenance of a culture committed to safety among workforce is propagated.
- Attend superintendent and foremen meetings, providing training, safety program status reports and updated safety information.
- Assist with all OSHA inspections and investigations; manage and mitigate job citations.
- Develop annual safety training curriculum; calendar and conduct regular, ongoing training both on and off the job sites. Training should cover safety personnel, superintendents, foremen, OSHA competent persons and job specific training, but should also cover all field personnel. Oversee maintenance of all required training documentation.
- Oversee maintenance of safety records to ensure that potentially problem employees and/or activities are identified as early as possible and corrective action is taken.
- Track and report safety performance results on a regular basis. Provide analysis of leading and lagging indicators, including compare to prior periods.
- Manage, develop, mentor and evaluate the safety staff in order to ensure the department is fulfilling its responsibilities on all levels. Provide ongoing training to safety personnel to update their knowledge and expertise.
- Investigate (or oversee safety staff investigations for) all employee, fleet and third party accidents, injuries and near misses and report via appropriate reporting mechanisms. Develop, implement and manage corrective measures as needed.
- Oversee the administration and enforcement of all vehicle and driving related policies and procedures to ensure:
- safe driving in Company vehicles or on Company business
- compliance with Department of Transportation requirements
- compliance with all other regulations concerning the safe operations of Company vehicles
- Develop and implement new vehicle/driving related policies, as necessary.
- Establish procedures to monitor the condition, maintenance and performance of all safety equipment and vehicles.
- Represent the Company at various meetings with customers and potential customers to promote the Company’s safety culture, history and values.
- Work with insurance carrier/loss control representative(s).
- Oversee, in conjunction with in-house counsel, all property, auto and other claims, other than construction defect actions.
- OSHA 500 or 501 certification
- Minimum seven (7) years safety management experience
- Proven experience overseeing multi-location safety program in the Construction industry
- Demonstrated ability to meet government clients’ safety-related expectations
- Strong understanding of EM 385-1-1 publication
- Critical thinking skills and ability to constructively resolve conflicts and solve problems
- Computer literacy and proficient technical skills in Microsoft Office suite
- High energy and passion for excellence; adaptable and resilient
- Effective oral and written communication skills; ability to effectively present complex topics in a concise manner
- Effective interpersonal skills; ability to connect with people at various levels and in a variety of functions
- Self-confident; ability to accept and respond to challenges in a positive manner
- CHST or CSP
- Undergraduate degree in safety related field of study
- Bilingual English/Spanish
Work is performed in the Irvine, CA office and at numerous off-site projects, with occasional travel outside the immediate area, primarily in the Western U.S. Interaction with safety staff, internal management, field operations, customer representatives, vendors and others as necessary is frequent and interruptive. Work is demanding at times and requires some flexibility in working hours/days.
- Highly competitive compensation package
- Career advancement/growth opportunities
- Comprehensive healthcare benefits
- Company Paid (and Supplemental Voluntary) Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
For Consideration, Please Send a Cover Letter and Your Resume, Along with Your Salary History and Requirements, To:
DRI (www.dricompanies.com) is a leading construction firm specializing in the installation of high-performing roof systems for its commercial, industrial and government clients and steep-slope solutions on apartment and HOA projects. DRI’s management team brings over 100 years of project management expertise on projects ranging up to $10 Million.
From Georgia to Hawaii, we’ve earned repeat business from customers because we consistently deliver safely-executed construction services, and a quality experience. Leading organizations and government agencies, such as Target Stores, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Walt Disney Studios, Boeing, NAVFAC, NASA and the US Postal Service have selected DRI Companies for hundreds of roofing and general contracting projects across the country because we deliver Outstanding Project Execution.