The Student Section of the OCASSE at California State University, Fullerton, recently was treated to a tour of Medtronic’s heart valve facility in Orange County. Founded in 1949, Medtronic has grown to become the world’s largest independent medical technology company. They are committed to an environmental, health and safety management system that is focused on continually improving its impact on the environment and human health.
The CSUF Student Section thanks Lisa Hong and everyone at Medtronic for their hospitality!
The mission of the California State University, Fullerton Student Section of the Orange County ASSE, is to promote professional development of members and students through advanced education, training, social service and networking events with professionals of Environmental Health and Safety related fields.
The Student Section’s goal is to promote a strong safety culture in the field of environmental health and safety and related fields in both industry and the community. As part of the activities that will help them to meet their goals, they actively participate in the following:
- Attend Parent Chapter meetings and events in order to establish networking opportunities and professional relationships with other industry members.
- Conduct site tours of local industries including manufacturing, public agencies, construction and entertainment venues and learn from the EHS personnel in the corresponding fields.
- Invite local safety professionals from various industries as guest speakers during Section meetings to share their experiences and to discuss emerging topics in EHS and related fields.
- Participate in various activities in the community that promote safety such as The Great Shakeout, Super CPR Day and others.
What is the ASSE?
Founded in 1911, ASSE is the world’s oldest and largest professional safety organization. Its 30,000 members manage, supervise and consult on safety, health and environmental issues in industry, insurance, government and education. ASSE has 15 Practice Specialties and 150 chapters in the United States and abroad.
The Orange County Chapter of the American Society of Safety Engineers includes over 450 safety professionals from various companies and industries in the surrounding area. As a sponsor of the CSUF Student Section, the OCASSE encourages all students can participate in Chapter events.
Benefits of Student Section Membership include:
- Scholarships and education grants
- Access to internships and Job opportunities
- Networking with safety professionals worldwide
- Professional development opportunities
- Technical resources and discounts
- Student Section Officers
- President: Allison Akbaroff
- Vice President: Elvis Amezcua
- Secretary: David Balderas
- Treasurer: Mandeep Dhaliwal
If you are interested in membership, please contact: Faculty Advisor: John Bresky email@example.com or ASSE Chapter Liaison: Cari Elofson firstname.lastname@example.org.