The ASSE Student Section is designed for students who are pursuing a career in the safety, health and environmental (SH&E) fields. ASSE seeks to provide additional opportunities for students to learn more about their chosen areas of study, as well as promote interaction between students and safety professionals.A Student Section may be formed at any accredited institution of higher education that offers a minimum of a two-year Associate degree in SH&E or a minimum of a two-year Associate degree with courses offered in SH&E. Other requirements include an initial membership of ten (10) or more ASSE Student Members.
ASSE Student member benefits include:
- Interaction with safety professionals – ASSE members often attend Student Section meetings, and Student members attend ASSE Chapter meetings. This provides a link between employers and prospective employees.
- Membership in a professional organization
- Interaction with other students who have similar interests
- Job availability announcements – The ASSE Online Community offers a Career Center which lists job opportunities and allows members to post their resumes for viewing by employers. The Career Center also offers mentoring services provided by professionals.
- Professional Safety – Members receive online access to ASSE’s monthly journal, Professional Safety, at no cost or may subscribe to a paper copy at a reduced cost.
- Scholarships – ASSE, ASSE Foundation, and many of its Chapters sponsor scholarship programs involving Student Sections. The Foundation also sponsors research grants.
- Conferences – ASSE-sponsored conferences and seminars are available to student members at a reduced rate.
Click here to learn more about the Orange County Chapter of the ASSE.